Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"Swades" in action

Few years back there was a Hindi movie Swades directed by Ashutosh Gowarikar. It was about a scientist, played aptly by Sharukh Khan, living in US. He leaves India for brighter career prospects in US. He later gets sucked in to the physical comfort of the life in US. Only when he visits India again he realizes what he has been missing. Subsequently, he decides to do something for his country and goes back to India to put his knowledge for his country's benefit. 


For all those who were not in India, this movie felt like a personal note from the motherland. Every time I used hear the soundtrack "Yeh Jo Desh hai Tera"  composed by A.R.Rahman, I used to think that it was written for me. It used to raise questions on whether I am doing the right thing by coming out of my country. In time of such doubts, I sought solace by looking at the abundance of talent my country is producing incessantly. For every few who leave India, there are a few who either stay back in India or decide to go back to India.


Today I read an opinion piece in NY Times written by David Bornstein about an entrepreneur in Bihar, India who has started a power company named Husk Power Systems. He left India, like many of us, for better career prospects in US. Years later, he heard the call and decided that it was time to go back and contribute towards the betterment of his roots. (You can go to the following link to read the complete article: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/a-light-in-india/) 


I know I will hear my call someday. Till then, will take pride in the actions of my fellow countrymen, like these guys behind Husk Power Systems.


Good luck Husk Power Systems!

2 comments:

  1. Moved me to tears, to think there are some of us who muster the courage to follow the call and go back and do something good ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are hoping to see you back one day... :)

    ReplyDelete

Children of the Purple

...Please make a legal u turn ahead Please make a u turn now Please take the next right turn Right turn ahead... It goes on and o...